top of page
Teenage Students Raising Hands_edited_edited.png

Common Questions

— Host Organizations —

What is the cost of this program?

There is no fee for businesses to use our service unless your company requires a Site Visit. If you decide to host an Intern/Trainee, you will need to pay them a salary that is at least minimum wage, and is comparable to what you would offer an American intern. You will not need to enroll the Intern/Trainee in your company’s health insurance policy, as ICEF will cover that cost for the duration of their program.

How long can the internship or training program be?

Programs should be at least 4 months in duration. The maximum length of an internship is 12 months. Trainee programs can last up to 18 months, except for those in the Hospitality & Tourism category (maximum 12 months).

Should I host an Intern or a Trainee? What's the difference?

This depends on what you’re able to offer. Internships are for participants who are either currently enrolled in university or have graduated within the year leading up to the start of the internship; their programs tend to be more basic. Trainees have already graduated from university and acquired at least one year of experience in their occupational field. Therefore, their training plan should be more advanced.

What are training phase rotations?

Training Plans must demonstrate a progression in the development of the Intern/Trainee’s skills and knowledge. Phase rotations are designed to expose the participant to several areas within your company’s business operations. Generally speaking, internships lasting 12 months should have 3–4 functional training phases and training programs lasting 18 months should have 4–5 phases, not including a brief orientation phase for onboarding at the beginning.

How can I keep my Intern/Trainee after their program is over?

The Exchange Visitor Program is intended to be used for temporary cultural exchange. Interns and Trainees are expected to depart the U.S. at the end of the program. In-country change of status (to a different visa type, such as H-1B) is not condoned by the U.S. Department of State.

bottom of page